Why is conveyancing different for new build?
Buying a house can be stressful and daunting. Buying it before it is built even more so. When purchasing a new-build property, you often buy it before construction has begun, or later in the construction process, meaning you often only see the show-home before exchanging contracts. Instructing a qualified solicitor who understands the conveyancing process and has the experience to guide you through can minimise the stress and result in a smoother transaction.
The process of buying a new build
1. Congratulations on your reservation!
2. We will open a file and confirm your instructions to the developer.
3. Need a mortgage? You should speak to your broker to get things underway. They can also help you apply for any Help to Buy equity loan if you are utilising this scheme. Once confirmed, we will report to you on the terms of the mortgage and any Help to Buy scheme being used.
4. We will tell you all you need to know about the property you are buying. Any questions, just ask.
5. We have exchanged. This is the point where your deposit of usually 10% (or 5% for Help to Buy) of the purchase price is paid to the developer and you are contractually tied in
6. Completion will either be on a fixed date or on a number of working days notice, once the plot is complete. At this stage, we will request any balance of funds required for completion.
7. Keys are released. You now own the property.
1. Pay Stamp Duty
2. Activate the new build warranty insurance
3. Apply to Land Registry to register the property in your name
Despite what you may be told, the use of telephone and internet-based ‘bulk conveyancers’ can increase the risks associated with buying or selling your home. We believe in a personal, honest approach; which is why you will always be allocated a solicitor who will handle your case from beginning to end… not a faceless team. We aim to make the process as transparent, clear and quick as can be … so you can get excited about getting the keys.
1. We have a specialist New Build Team that understands the process and intricacies of buying a new build property . This means we can help foresee problems and more importantly - solutions.
2. We have a number of offices across the Solent area which you can use and where we can meet. We have offices based in Fareham, Gosport, Cosham, Lee-on-the-Solent, Portsmouth, with Ryde and Cowes on the Isle of Wight.
3. We offer a fixed fee so you know exactly how much our service is going to cost.
4. All our files are overseen by a partner.
If you are thinking of buying a new build, our specialist New Build team can help, contact Karen King or call 01329 822 333.
Partner Leesa Clemow, Resolution Accredited Specialist on Advanced Financial Provision, advises on the dissolution of civil partnerships.
Apri 2021More Info
In recent years, the courts have seen a rise in ‘contentious probate’ cases.
The process of buying a new build house.
Churchers has appointed two solicitors to join their growing Buying and Selling your Home team
April 2021More Info