Top 10 things to think about when buying a house
At Churchers our ' buying and selling your home team' have helped hundreds of people buy their first home.
So we asked them for their top tips and here are the top 10............................
- Shop around for the best mortgage deals. An independent mortgage broker can help source the best product but you can also look on comparison sites such as www.moneysavingexpert.com to gauge what deals are available.
- Get an agreement in principle before making an offer. You need to know your budget
- Consider obtaining an independent survey . This could reveal problems at the property which could be costly. You could renegotiate the price if there are any problems
- Conveyancing in England is still very much based on the principle of “Let the buyer beware”. You should therefore inspect the property to make sure all appliances included are working. You should also get the boiler and electrics tested
- If there are any key dates then let the estate agents know so this can be passed to all in the chain
- Do your homework. Find out all the expenses that will be coming your way during the moving process so you are not faced with an unexpected bill at the end.
- Learn the lingo. Estate agents and solicitors can use jargon. Don’t be afraid to ask your solicitors to explain anything that is unclear
- Visit any homes you like at different times of day to check light, noise etc
- Instruct a solicitor to make sure the purchase goes through as smoothly as possible
- Before you make an offer make sure you have checked the local house price market to gauge what other houses in the local market have sold for. You can get an indication of this via Zoopla or Rightmove.
If you are thinking of buying a house and have any questions or need assistance please do contact one of our 'buying and selling your home team'