Employment Solicitor Costs
The solicitor fees likely to be incurred for bringing or defending claims relating to employment matters vary considerably, depending on the complexity of the claim and whether it proceeds to the employment tribunals.
We offer a fixed fee service for Settlement Agreements, where a worker and employer seek to agree compensation to end a worker’s employment avoiding a dispute.
We strongly recommend that you contact our employment law expert, Andrew Bryan on 01329 822 333, to discuss your individual requirements. Andrew is able to quickly assess the situation on the telephone and is able to offer up to 15 minutes of advice free of charge.
Where he considers that more detailed advice is required he is able to offer a fixed fee employment appointment at a cost of £500 plus VAT. The initial advice covers two hours work including attendance and preparation. It also covers the following:
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on the merits and likely compensation (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change)
- Considering complex preliminary issues such as whether a claim has been made within time
- Whether to enter into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached
- Advising on how to defend claims brought by litigants in person
- Reviewing and advising on the claim or response from another part
- Whether it is necessary to make or defend an applications or to provide further information about an existing claim
- Considering whether allegations of discrimination are linked to dismissal
- The number of witnesses required and likely documents that need to be produced to the tribunal
- Discussing settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process
Employment claims are often settled within 6 to 12 weeks, at a cost of £750 to £1500 plus VAT. Where it is not possible to agree a settlement and you decide to defend the claim before the employment tribunal, our fees are again based on the complexity of the work required. These employment law fees are usually charged at an hourly rate of between £300 plus VAT. In the more simple cases we are able to offer a fixed fee structure. Such fees are based on the anticipated time required to complete the matter.
The work we provide will include but is not limited to:
- Preliminary settlement negotiations
- Drafting a claim or reply
- Preparing for and attending a preliminary hearing
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents
- Taking witness statements drafting statements and agreeing there content with witnesses
- Preparing bundles of documents
- Reviewing and advising on the strength of the other parties witness statements
- Agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast lists
- Preparing and attending a final hearing including instructing counsel.
These stages are an indication of the legal work to be undertaken by our experienced solicitors. If some of the stages are not required fees will be reduced. You may wish to handle the claim yourself and only have our advice in relation to some of the stages. This can also be arranged on your individual needs.
There will be an additional charge for attending tribunal hearings of £2000 Per day (excluding VAT). Generally we would allow 1 – 2 days for an unfair dismissal case and 5 – 7 days for a discrimination case depending on the complexity. We would not usually attend a hearing if Counsel is your choice of advocate.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties such as counsel or court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursement on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. Our fees do not include disbursements. Counsel’s fees are estimated at between £1500 to £3000 plus VAT per day depending upon the experience of the advocate for attending a tribunal or obtaining advice on complex matters.
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved. If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation your case is likely to take 12 to 24 weeks. If your claim proceeds to a full hearing your case is likely to take 24 to 52 weeks. This is just an estimate and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information as the matter progresses.
Our estimate for an unfair/wrongful dismissal claim is between £7,500-£15,000 plus VAT. Our estimate for a discrimination claim is £20,000 to £40,000 plus VAT. We will investigate all funding options available to you such as whether you have an insurance policy that will cover legal costs. This will be reviewed at your first appointment.
To learn more about how our team can assist you with your enquiries relating to employment law and the fees involved, contact us today. Call our employment law expert, Andrew Bryan on 01329 822 333.